To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must possess good nursing assessment and judgment skills. Must have good communication and documentation skills. Must have the ability and desire to function well with faculty, resident physicians, nursing staff, other staff and outside health care agencies and providers. Must readily understand verbal and written instructions; must be able to explain them clearly to patients.
General Skill Requirements
In addition to the Essential Functions and Qualifications listed above, to perform the job successfully an individual must also possess the following General Skill Requirements.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Accepts criticism and feedback; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; ability to work with frustrating situations; work under pressure and on an irregular schedule such as unscheduled overtime, unanticipated changes in work pace; Works with numerous distractions.
- Attendance and Punctuality – Schedules time off in advance; Begins working on time; Keeps absences within guidelines; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed; Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relations; Exhibits tact and consideration; Displays positive outlook and pleasant manner; Offers assistance and support to co-workers; Works cooperatively in group situations; Works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources effectively.
- Judgment – displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions; ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
- Problem solving – Identifies problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly; Achieves established goals.
- Concentration – Maintains attention to detail over extended period of time; continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Supervision – ability to perform work independently or with minimal supervision; ability to assign and/or review work; train and/or evaluate other employees.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Medical assistant certification required or certification eligible. must attain certification within 6 months of hire into position. Acceptable certifications include:
- AAMA American Association of Medical Assistants;
- NCCT National Center for Competency Testing
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- ARMA with proof of graduation through accredited program
Job duties involve the potential for exposure to blood and body fluids.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Little or no physical effort or strenuous activity other than incidental walking, standing, bending and reaching, and carrying of light loads (1 to 5 pounds).
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work under stress and adapt to changing conditions.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.